Improve your IA
Use your information architecture (IA) to help users know where they are on a website, or where to go to find what they need.
Why improve your IA?
You may need to improve or change the structure of your existing website, or create a new one from scratch:
- to introduce a new service
- when there is a Machinery of Government change
- to accommodate a change in user needs
- when external factors impact, such as industry changes
- to standardise your content
- in response to new governance over your existing website
- Review analytics, research, engageReview content analytics, research other websites, engage with users and stakeholders.
- Plan your IAPlan your information architecture's taxonomy, group your content and visualize and map your IA.
- Define your IAUse methods such as card sorting and scenario testing to map and validate your information architecture labels as you go.
- Test and improveTest and improve your information architecture with users at each stage of development.
- Map contentMap content to your new information architecture. This shows where content will sit, plus any content gaps you may have.
- IA checklistThings to think about when you're developing your information architecture.
Content strategy output
What you'll get
- Clear website structure
- Content that is easy to find
- Pages that are easy to navigate
What to do
Add to Part 9 in the Content Strategy Template
Clean up phase
Set the foundations